Wednesday, July 28, 2010

HP Placard

At JD's 5 year check up I mentioned something about a Handicap Placard. Our pedi said it was a great idea for JD to learn to walk rather than always to expect a carriage (more cuz JD is "lazy") if someone will do something for him, like carry him, offer a carriage, he will gladly accept. This way, I can say "we are close enough to walk so you can walk!"

The Doctor's office called today and they signed the paperwork and sent to Boston for approval. I have mixed emotions, I certainly won't use it everytime, but hey if it helps JD out, why not? What do other POLPs think?

5 comments:

Destini said...

I know we already talked about this, but we have one for Trace. We got it for when he had his surgery, but I've also been using it and making him walk. His ped put as as permanent (they expire every 5 years, so we'll have to renew) Plus, it may really help out in the campgrounds to get good spots near everything!

Debi said...

I think if it allows JD to be the best he can be and independance...ie:walking to his destination, then it is a great thing. And when you come to visit me in Southie, you will always have a spot. :-)

Unknown said...

Definitely agree with Debi here...if it allows JD more independence, then that's a great thing. Seamus is quite lazy, always looking for the stroller or wanting to be carried, so we need to start encouraging him to walk more and for longer periods of time!

Kim said...

I am with everyone else. This will get JD to also feel as if he is a big boy and won't have him feeling tired after a short walk. I think it is a great idea.

Greene Family said...

I'm with everyone else - sounds like a great idea if it will give JD more independence and walking more on his own.