Monday, June 15, 2009

504 and JD's new school






These pictures are some of the accomodations that the other elementary school in our town has made for another little person in our town!! She is in the 5th grade and we are very friendly with her parents. They were so nice to share stories, pictures, etc with me. I was able to have Maddy "walk" me around to show me everything in her school for her...it truly was eye opening and very reassuring for me. I learned that other than a few simple hygiene accomodations, there wasn't much that needs to be changed. I am glad to have the oppurtunity to have gone there and talk to so many wonderful teachers, and administrators. (plus many of JD's teachers, I had when I was little, so that was fun seeing them again...lol)

We have finally got our written 504 plan for JD. We have met with the school he is attending in the fall (the same school he will go K-5) and they have been nothing but great. We have a relationship with his teacher already as she is Annie's teacher currently. They are buying a new water table, adjusting the faucet so he can reach, making a platform for hand washing, platform for the toilet, etc. They have been great and we are quite pleased with our outcome!!!

Now, are they ready for JD???? LOL Ready or not,, here he comes!!!!

4 comments:

Jen Weisser said...

Jill thanks so much for this post! I have been looking for pix to bring to the elementary school Ethan will be attending for PreK this fall to give them some ideas for adaptions for him. There is another boy in our town that is 1 yr. older than Ethan but his parents do not want any accommodations made for him. I agree that not everything should be adapted for them but it would just make his day easier if certain things were. These pix are things that would help even a shorter "average" child.

Unknown said...

Wow, how exciting that JD is going to school! The pics of the adaptations look wonderful. How great that the school is so involved and accomodating...such a relief, I'm sure!

Kim said...

WOw! I have no accomodations for Preston other than he can bring his potty ring to the bathroom and there is a stepstool for him to stand up and pee and wash his hands, but he still has trouble reaching the faucet but has adapted to kind of lean over and reach. He has a bit of trouble reaching his hook but his cubby is on the lower shelf.
I think that the school did these adaptations is wonderful. I agree with Jen-they would help even a shorter AH kid! Is the school though ready for JD and his cuteness?

Greene Family said...

It is so nice to hear how accomodating the school is going to be for JD, and it sounds like he will have great teachers! Thanks for sharing the pictures - good to keep in mind for when we get to this stage with Simon!
Love it - is the school ready for JD!? He's such a cutie!